Charlie 3- Day 7

Posted Wednesday, August 15th, 2012 at 10:02 am

Charlie 3 Trip update – Day 7 – Eric von Aschwege, Program Director

The Skipper, Mate, and Navigator of each boat in Charlie Fleet woke up super early to make it to a 6am schedule briefing given by their Director and Fleet Captain, in which they explained the schedule and the navigation for the day.  They returned and then woke the rest of their crew at 6:45, so that everyone could eat and be ready for their 8am dive! 

Though many went diving for fun, others in the fleet worked on their advanced selections, including navigation and rescue diving.  The rescue divers trained how to carry a disabled swimmer through the water – not a small feat when many of the “victims” were much larger than the divers!  Meanwhile the navigators practiced using their compasses underwater – it’s amazing how challenging it can be to swim a straight line!

Upon returning from their dives, the everyone gathered in the cockpits to discuss the plan for the day.  Venture, having had her mainsail repaired that morning, was docked by staff at Hodges Creek, and students helped plan the dedocking with Captain Beta and Mate Luke, and then dedocked Venture like pros!  Back at Great Harbor, Monet untied their secondary line and then motored east, getting their mainsail up right away.  Though the skipper, mate, and navigator of the day helped to lead the way for their crew, it was a great team effort on both boats to get them safely to their final destination. 

On Monet, Ally was the skipper, Igor was the mate, and Annette was the navigator – Igor’s attention to detail during the sail helped get Venture to her destination quickly, while Jack helped everyone with navigation around the dogs.  At the end of the day, Monet nailed the quickdrop of their mainsail, and motored into the North Sound ready to pick up the mooring. 

On Venture, Johnny was the skipper, Paul was the mate, and Eliza was the navigator.  During their sail they passed the Beef island and then went around the Dogs, where they accidentally tacked and became hove-to (a state in which the vessel stands still in a controlled way).  Having not practiced this before, the crew worked out how to switch the jib and get back onto a sailing course.  After entering the north sound, they picked up the mooring ball on their first try! 

Everyone was tired after their long day, and still had some homework to do, so it was a quiet night on board.  The captains and mates debriefed Challenge Day with the students, and everyone went to bed knowing they had accomplished something great.


Related Trip Updates