Charlie 3 – Day 1 & Meet Our Staff

Posted Wednesday, August 8th, 2012 at 10:12 am

Charlie 3 Trip Update Day 1

Charlie 3 staff have been working hard all day long getting the boats ready for the 19 new crew member who arrived today! Captains Mark and Beta made beds, cleaned, provisioned, and completed the final check lists with growing excitement of meeting their new crews. They arrived in small groups throughout the day with some of the earlier arrivals getting to go tubing and banana boating. When the majority of the students arrived all were shown to their new homes for the next 2 weeks. Beta is captain on Venture with mate Luke, and Mark is on Monet with mate Ryn. A delicious pizza dinner completed the evening along with the famous Mike Talk.  Then it was time to power down before tomorrow’s busy day!

Meet our Charlie 3 staff:

This will be my second summer with Sail Caribbean. I started as a Mate during Early Bravo and was Captain on the Delta Program for the remainder of the season. I started sailing when I was 5 years old with my dad and the local sailing program, and enjoyed annual cruises to Maine on our 39 ft sloop. I’ve enjoyed being in the outdoors since I was little, and now share my passion for sailing and the outdoors with others. I have a BA in Outdoor Leadership (ODL) from Warren Wilson College and also studied psychology while there. In training with the ODL department, I learned about group dynamics, leadership in a wilderness setting, and took particular interest in risk management and developing new programming. I got my Scuba certification during my sophomore year of school, but much prefer snorkeling. I’m currently trying to develop a sailing program that works with active service members and veterans. I worked with several youth programs throughout my training in Outdoor Leadership, facilitated programming for local school groups, and led outdoor trips for college peers.  I grew up on an island just north of Boston, and have always enjoyed studying the natural history and marine biology of the New England area. Working with the students is a great opportunity – not only am able to become a more competent sailor and educator, but it is incredibly rewarding to watch the students take charge and sail the boat on their own. There’s nothing like taking a step back and having the students read the weather and take down sail anticipating a coming squall without my needing to say a word. As a captain I enjoyed the responsibility of running a vessel and being a role model for my students. They teach me as many lessons as I teach them. Lastly, nowhere else am I able to work with and learn from staff members of such high caliber. I’ve been Mountain Biking about as long as I’ve been sailing. I also enjoy maritime and colonial history, as well as woodworking and even building and restoring flintlock rifles on the side. Something funny you should know about me…I enjoy listening to and making puns, as well as accent jokes… Do they have trees in Canada? Yessir, between da twos and da fours.

Ryn Steck, Provisions Manager, Mate

This past May, I graduated from Hamilton College where I concentrated in environmental studies. I spent a semester abroad in Madagascar studying biodiversity and natural resource management. Highlights definitely included studying rural fishing communities and marine protected areas for an independent study project. I have been snorkeling since I could swim and received my first scuba certification in 2009. I started sailing when I was 7 years old and fell head over heels in love with the wind and the water. I spent my summers sailing at camps and later became a sailing instructor and camp counselor. While attending Hamilton, I hiking, camped, kayaked, and canoed my way through the Adirondacks as an Outing Club Officer and a pre-orientation, outdoors trip leader. In past summers, I’ve lead hiking trips in the Berkshires and in Colorado and now I can’t wait to make my way down to the Caribbean! My experiences sailing as a teenager were some of the most transformative experiences in my life; conquering the wind and the waves can make a girl feel fearless! I hope to inspire others to challenge themselves and experientially develop a love of sailing and the environment. I am thrilled to work for Sail Caribbean this summer because I am confident that each program whether through sailing, diving, service, or science; fosters personal growth and provides the opportunity for the adventures of a lifetime! My interests include photography and art, watching documentaries, rollerblading, and growing sprouts.  Silly fact about myself? Although I’m a huge fan of fruit, it took me 21 years to get over my irrational fear of bananas. I had my first bite last year and now, I eat them all the time!

Beta Eaton, Captain

This will be my first summer at Sail Caribbean. In 2011, I graduated from Colby College in Maine with a degree in Science, Technology, and Society. My undergraduate work focused on Marine Science, culminating in a year-long project involving the New England lobster fishery. I currently teach middle school and high school science at a small boarding school in Maryland. Growing up on the coast of Maine, I’ve always had a passion for oceanographic systems and anything related to sailing. I am US Sailing Level 2 certified and I coach sailing at my school. For six previous summers, I have worked at residential summer programs where I taught academic lessons and instructed various levels of sailing. Now, as a teacher, I enjoy working with young people as they explore their passions and learn about new things. I’m looking forward to Sail Caribbean because it offers a unique experience to encounter challenges and make memories. I was lucky enough to experience life onboard sailboats in high school and college, also while studying, and I hope to offer that experience to others. In my spare time I enjoy reading, swimming, running, and cooking big meals. Something funny you should know about me… I used to tell people I was allergic to pecans because I hated them so much, but now, Butter Pecan ice cream is my favorite flavor.

Luke Whitcraft, Mate

I am currently a student at Prescott College focusing on a degree in adventure education and marine studies. I have been sailing since I was 8 years old.  I have sailed in a few races including the Duck Shoe race, which is an eight mile race in the San Diego Harbor. This will be my first year working with Sail Caribbean but not my first year working with teens in a similar environment. I have previous experience as an Assistant Lifeguard for the Torrey Pines Junior Life Guard Association. I worked with TPJG’s for nearly three entire summers acting as a standing Life Guard and playing the role of an Assistant to help with instruction. I also worked for the Birch Aquarium for about 2 years as a volunteer tide pool interpreter. I helped families and teens learn about the environment in their backyard that some had never even knew existed. Also over the course of my high school years and during my assisting with the TPJG’s I did a lot of film work and took a few advance photography classes.  I am a certified  PADI Dive Master. Something funny that you should know about me…I can never figure out which way to comb my hair.

Mark Missirlian

I am currently studying International Business at George Washington University in Washington, DC. I started sailing when I was 7, when I went to a summer camp in Connecticut. From that moment, I knew this was my passion. I have sailed on a variety of boats, from tiny Lasers to giant monohulls and even a trimaran that was used to sail around the world, twice! I started scuba diving when I was 10 years old and fell in love as soon as I took my first breath through the regulator. I am now a Master Scuba Diver with PADI and hold a variety of certifications from Rescue Diver to Search and Recovery to Nitrox. After attending Sail Caribbean as a teen for three summers, I went on to earn my Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician certification from NOLS, in Wyoming, while also becoming a Leave No Trace instructor. I had previously worked as the Director of Kayaking and EMT for a summer camp on Long Island, NY, as well as a volunteer instructor for a sailing school in Washington, DC.  Currently, I work for the ambulance service at George Washington University. I first attended Sail Caribbean in 2007 on the Charlie Program and everyone on the boat quickly became a giant family. I loved every moment of that trip, and I made friends that I will keep for a lifetime. After my third summer on the Charlie Program, I took off to get more experience so I could come back and work for the Sail Caribbean family.  From a very young age I have had a desire for the sea; both above and below the surface. I love sailing, scuba diving, cooking, photography, and helping others when working on an ambulance. Something funny you should know about me … I have a slight obsession with Gordon Ramsay and I can only wear toe socks.

Related Trip Updates