Alpha 3 – Day 1 & Meet Our Staff

Posted Tuesday, July 24th, 2012 at 8:57 am

Alpha 3 Trip Update Day 1 – Elise, Program Director

Today the Alpha crew arrived from all over the world to Hodges Creek Marina to begin their adventures on Alpha 3! Upon arriving, everyone met their crew mates, their captains, and the boats that will be our new floating homes for the next two weeks! Skye, Joe, Johnny, Mencia, Helen, Sophie, and Sarina moved onto Isle of Skye, a 50 foot Bavaria, captained by Mark Missirlian. Matt, Sarah-Nicole, Paula, Haley, Tyler, Will, and Abby moved onto Persephone, a 50.5 foot Beneteau, captained by Ali Overing. We all settled in and then shared a pizza dinner on our boats. Afterwards, we had a warm welcome from the owner and director of Sail Caribbean, Mike Liese, to officially begin the program. Tonight we will all drift asleep underneath the stars in the quiet sleepy marina before we wake up to catch wind in our sails and explore the Caribbean Sea!

Elise Anderson, Program Director, Dive Coordinator

This is my third summer at Sail Caribbean; I love it here! In the last two years I’ve been a Mate on Alpha, a Captain on Foxtrot, and the Office Manager. One of my favorite parts about working at Sail Caribbean is being part of an amazing, hard working staff team who pour themselves into something bigger than themselves. This year I am a senior at Prescott College in Arizona majoring in Human Development and Adventure Education. In addition to teaching sailing I also have spent time teaching rock climbing and backpacking skills to high school and college age students. After I graduate this December my dream is to work on a tall ship. I plan to continue my education and career teaching in the outdoors because of the incredible growth I see in students and staff alike. I am excited for another fantastic summer at Sail Caribbean, and I look forward to many more!

Ali Overing, Captain, Marine Biology

This will be my second summer at Sail Caribbean. Last summer I was a mate on the Bravo programs. I am currently a music and religion major at Bard College. The only formal sailing training that I’ve had has been when I raced 420s in high school, but I’ve grown up sailing around the BVI. I’ve been a sailing instructor at the Mustique watersports center in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. I used to run a part-time kids activity and sailing camp on Necker Island. I love to think that by working at Sail Caribbean, I’m helping kids open up new doors and new possibilities that they may have never discovered otherwise. I absolutely love sailing, I feel like it shapes my existence and a lot of my personality and I hope that the experience of Sail Caribbean can be exciting and encouraging for kids to try their hand at new passions. In my spare time I enjoy singing and songwriting. I love to windsurf and swim and do anything that keeps me outside. Something funny you should know about me… I like to sing in a sound choir where we make alien noises

Katelynn Yonce, Fleet Captain, Medical Officer, Marine Biology

This will be my third summer at Sail Caribbean. I graduated this year from Hobart and William Smith Colleges with a degree in Public Policy Law and minors in Environmental Studies and Political Science, and was on the varsity sailing team for Hobart and William Smith for three years. I have worked as a sailing race team coach in Cape Cod, Massachusetts and as a camp counselor teaching sailing at an all girls camp in Maine. I love the experience of working with teens aboard the boat. It makes everything worth it when everything clicks, the crew on board has a firm grasp on the sailing side, and gotten to a point where they are working together as a team. I also enjoy being able to share my love of sailing with others, and be able to teach in such a beautiful environment. In my spare time, I love skiing, sailing, reading, running and waterskiing. Something funny you should know about me… I sleep talk, A LOT.

Mark Missirlian, Captain, Curriculum Coordinator

I am currently studying International Business at George Washington University in Washington, DC. I started sailing when I was 7, when I went to a summer camp in Connecticut. From that moment, I knew this was my passion. I have sailed on a variety of boats, from tiny Lasers to giant monohulls and even a trimaran that was used to sail around the world, twice! I started scuba diving when I was 10 years old and fell in love as soon as I took my first breath through the regulator. I am now a Master Scuba Diver with PADI and hold a variety of certifications from Rescue Diver to Search and Recovery to Nitrox. After attending Sail Caribbean as a teen for three summers, I went on to earn my Wilderness Emergency Medical Technician certification from NOLS, in Wyoming, while also becoming a Leave No Trace instructor. I had previously worked as the Director of Kayaking and EMT for a summer camp on Long Island, NY, as well as a volunteer instructor for a sailing school in Washington, DC. Currently, I work for the ambulance service at George Washington University. I first attended Sail Caribbean in 2007 on the Charlie Program and everyone on the boat quickly became a giant family. I loved every moment of that trip, and I made friends that I will keep for a lifetime. After my third summer on the Charlie Program, I took off to get more experience so I could come back and work for the Sail Caribbean family. From a very young age I have had a desire for the sea; both above and below the surface. I love sailing, scuba diving, cooking, photography, and helping others when working on an ambulance. Something funny you should know about me … I have a slight obsession with Gordon Ramsay and I can only wear toe socks.

“Kodak” Cait McGinnis, Mate, Provisions Manager,  Photomate

I am currently a senior attending Prescott College in Prescott, Arizona. I am double majoring in Experiential Education and Adventure Education! I am interning in the Mate position this year at Sail Caribbean. I first sailed in British Columbia with NOLS. I have a lot of experience working with students of all ages. I have completed two years of AmeriCorp training in Wyoming. During that time, I worked at a YMCA day and resident camp as well as several other programs around the YMCA including youth sports. I have also designed and implemented two leadership programs for teens and college-aged students. I am excited to work for Sail Caribbean this summer to learn more about sailing, explore a new environment and to meet fabulous people! Besides, who can turn down a summer in the Caribbean?? I like to go on a lot of adventures. I am always bouncing from place to place rock climbing, backpacking, sea kayaking and just plain exploring. And I take pictures of everything as I go, earning me the nickname of ‘Kodak’! Something funny you should know about me is that I am slightly obsessed with the color green. It is the color of my car and my backpack and currently the color of the nail polish on my toes!!

Related Trip Updates