Bravo 2 – Day 1 & Meet Our Staff

Posted Monday, July 16th, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Bravo 2 Trip Update Day 2

Finally all of our hard work preparing the boat has paid off! Today was arrival day and we waited anxiously to meet all the new crew members to kick off a great new program. As the first group of students arrived they were all introduced to their new homes for the next three weeks, Sao Jorge, Vivaldi, Monet, and Monet 1. They were all given time to start the unpacking process and settle in to the Sail Caribbean way of life.  A little while later the second wave of students arrived, deposited their belongings, and met their staff.  Then it was time for the entire Bravo and Charlie fleet to sit down for their first family style meal of chicken, rice, and coleslaw (a Sail Caribbean tradition!) This will be followed by the first boat meeting of the program, and an early night to bed after a busy day of traveling!

Meet our Bravo 2 staff team:

Cli Breathnach, Program Director

This will be my sixth summer at Sail Caribbean. I have been a Mate, Captain, & Program Director for the Bravo and Charlie programs. For the past two summers I have been the Sailing Director. In 2005 I earned a 4 year degree in Outdoor education at the Galway Mayo Institute of technology in Ireland after which I traveled and worked in the outdoors, becoming more involved in sailing and learning how to dive along the way. I am now studying for my masters and Dr. of Chiropractic in the University Of Glamorgan, Wales. I have worked with teens and children in a coaching and leadership capacity from the age of 17. While in College I worked as a part time freelance activity instructor before graduating in 2005. I then began working fulltime as a multi activity instructor in outdoor education and summer activity centres on the east and west coasts of Ireland where i taught lessons in kayaking, sailing, surfing, climbing, absailing, camp craft and hillwalking. I joined Sail Caribbean in 2007 as a mate and have never looked back.  To me Sail Caribbean is more than a job; it’s a second home and as a staff member returning for my 6th summer I’d have to say I also consider myself a family member, and that I am returning home for summer. Sail Caribbean and Mike Liese have a great way of making you instantly feel welcome. My first day on the job I knew immediately that this is no ordinary summer camp, and that this was the beginning of a great journey. The effort and care placed upon creating a worthwhile, educational, and fun filled experience does not apply just to our students but also to their staff. I come back each year because I love meeting our new staff and watching them begin that journey, I love watching our veteran staff return to take the ride again to see what they can learn this time. The main reason I come back however is because of the experiences I get to see and create for our students; to watch them grow and learn in the special way they do at Sail Caribbean makes me incredibly happy & proud.  Something funny you should know about me… I sunburn real easy and get massive panda eyes from my sunglasses, so really should avoid 3 months in the Caribbean – but just can’t resist…

Jeff Pollock, Fleet Captain

This is my sixth summer at Sail Caribbean. I have worked on the Bravo and Charlie programs as a mate, Fleet Captain and Operations Manager. I attended UT Dallas – Class of 2010 and earned my B.S in Business Administration. USCG OUPV PADI Advanced Open Water. I come back to Sail Caribbean each summer because I have a real passion for teaching students how to sail. Teaching them how to water-ski and wakeboard is a great bonus. Each summer I have enjoyed working with both students and staff from different parts of the world. Some of my hobbies are Sailing, water skiing, Wake-boarding, Scuba diving, Snow skiing and Photography. Something funny you should know about me…The first year I worked at Camp W.A.D.E I was not old enough to participate in the course but I was allowed to teach!

Ryn Steck, Mate, Provisions Manager

This past May, I graduated from Hamilton College where I concentrated in environmental studies. I spent a semester abroad in Madagascar studying biodiversity and natural resource management. Highlights definitely included studying rural fishing communities and marine protected areas for an independent study project. I have been snorkeling since I could swim and received my first scuba certification in 2009. I started sailing when I was 7 years old and fell head over heels in love with the wind and the water. I spent my summers sailing at camps and later became a sailing instructor and camp counselor. While attending Hamilton, I hiking, camped, kayaked, and canoed my way through the Adirondacks as an Outing Club Officer and a pre-orientation, outdoors trip leader. In past summers, I’ve lead hiking trips in the Berkshires and in Colorado and now I can’t wait to make my way down to the Caribbean! My experiences sailing as a teenager were some of the most transformative experiences in my life; conquering the wind and the waves can make a girl feel fearless! I hope to inspire others to challenge themselves and experientially develop a love of sailing and the environment. I am thrilled to work for Sail Caribbean this summer because I am confident that each program whether through sailing, diving, service, or science; fosters personal growth and provides the opportunity for the adventures of a lifetime! My interests include photography and art, watching documentaries, rollerblading, and growing sprouts.  Silly fact about myself? Although I’m a huge fan of fruit, it took me 21 years to get over my irrational fear of bananas. I had my first bite last year and now, I eat them all the time!

Sara Stone, Captain

This will be my first summer at Sail Caribbean. I am entering my senior year at Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH where I have designed my own major. I am studying a combination of anthropology, ethics, engineering science, philosophy and biology and I hope to apply this to my interest in global health and international relations.
In past summers I have worked as a Sailing Instructor and have earned my US Sailing Level 1 Instructor license and small boating license. I have been sailing for as long as I can remember – I grew up on the water in Marion, MA and have spent every summer cruising and racing around Cape Cod, the Elizabeth Islands, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. I also earned my Scuba certification in the BVI when I was in high school. I love children and have spent summers working with them, most recently as a Sailing Instructor/Camp Counselor with the Tabor Academy Summer Program, and in previous summers as an au pair in France! Sail Caribbean combines three of the things I most enjoy – being on a boat, working as a member of a team, and working with teens. What better way for me to spend my summer?! I love to do anything outdoors! Sailing, swimming, hiking, camping, you name it. I also LOVE to travel – especially to places where I don’t speak the language – it is an added, exciting challenge! Something you should know about me… I used to be a runway model!

Scott Barnhill, Mate

I have just finished my sophomore year attending the Villanova School of Engineering working toward a degree in Mechanical Engineering. I have a strong interest in the aerospace field.
I am the Captain of the Villanova University Sailing Team and am an avid offshore/inshore keelboat and dingy racer.I became a PADI Open Water diver at the age of 11 and am currently a PADI Divemaster with over 16 specialty certifications. This will be my first summer working as a staff member with Sail Caribbean. My community service has centered around coaching sailing and promoting innovative thinking among kids. My support of youth entrepreneurship was a result of receiving a US patent at the age of 12 for putting multiple magnetic strips on credit cards. This led me to become involved with a company called By Kids for Kids whose mission is to promote inventiveness in kids at an early age. Ever since my first day with Sail Caribbean as a Delta camper, I always wanted to be a SC staff member. The captains and mates I grew to know over my years as a camper were such great mentors and role models to me, and I hope to pass those values on to my students. Teaching with the ocean as your classroom is an opportunity few people get to experience and I can’t wait to get my feet wet! In between sailing and class work I love traveling and exploring the outdoors as a passionate rock climber, hiker, skier and freelance photographer/videographer. Something funny you should know about me… I’m part monkey; I love to climb pretty much anything. (Trees, masts, rocks, ropes)

Dave Rogers, Captain, Leave No Trace Coordinator

This will be my first summer at Sail Caribbean. I graduated in 2008 from the University of Mary Washington, majoring in Studio Art. I took two courses with NOLS following college; one focusing on backpacking and outdoor education, the other on coastal sailing. I’ve worked seasonally the last couple years mostly with conservation corps in the summer, doing work ranging from, native plant restoration, trail work/maintenance, carpentry, and state park management. For two summers, I led crews for the Vermont Youth Conservation Corps, living and working together as part of a positive and functioning community. In the winter I teach snowboarding lessons to all ages at ski resorts. I attended and later worked at a summer camp in Virginia for most of my youth and during college. I took two semesters of Photo in College. Working at Sail Caribbean will be a great way to work as part of a team in a beautiful environment, interacting with young folks and having a good time, and a time to feel closer to the life-breathing power of water. In my spare time I play ultimate Frisbee, and do woodworking. Something funny you should know about me…. I can, at times, be so minimalistic it’s debilitating.

Kat Stanley-Whyte, Mate, Medical Officer

I am 19 years old and am currently studying in Aberdeen doing a BSc in Sports Science and Exercise. I’m in my first year and loving it. I have been sailing all my life as it goes with the family. I got my Dinghy Instructors, First Aid and Powerboat license at the age of 16 but was coaching with my home club since I was 12 helping out with all the little ones. I am also a life guard and life saver and have my NPLQ, Life Support 2 & 3, Award of Merit and my Bronze Medallion. I was in the Scottish sailing squad by the age of 10 in an Optimist and then progressed through the RYA system in Toppers, 420s and I’m finally in a Laser Radial. I was selected for the World team in 2008 for the Laser 4.7s and travelled to Croatia, and later coached the GBR team at the 2010 Worlds in Thailand. This year I’ve been one of the head coaches for the Scottish sailing squads in their winter season. I spent my gap year out in Australia coaching the AUS and Victorian state teams as well as beginners with the Boatshed in Melbourne. I have also sailed in one of the old Volvo ocean yachts around Sydney Harbour. I have never been scuba diving but I love swimming and am really keen to learn. I love photography and have lots of old cameras at home. In my spare time I keep busy sailing, swimming, playing field hockey, tennis, running track, surfing, snowboarding, and skiing. Something funny you should know about me… I have a scar on my arm from a Lion given to me when I was travelling in South Africa.

Steff Page, Mate

This will be my second summer with Sail Caribbean. Last summer I was a Mate/Divemaster on Early Bravo and a Captain/ Divemaster on Charlie 1, 2&3. In 2011 I graduated from Plymouth University with a degree in Outdoor Education. Over the course of my degree I gained qualification in Dinghy sailing, windsurfing, Mountain Leadership, rock climbing kayaking and canoeing, just to name a few. From 2006 to 2011 I worked at a local Diving and water sports centre. While I specialized in sailing and retail I quickly got the scuba diving bug and gained my PADI open water in 2008, and qualified as a PADI Dive Master in 2011. I have participated in a round the world sailing expedition, being a member of one of the watch team and have participated in a sailing expedition in the Med, on this expedition I was a watch leader.  I am returning to Sail Caribbean this summer because I simply couldn’t stay away. Seeing the look on the kid’s faces as they became aware of their many achievements in such a short amount of time was amazing – it is a look I’ve never seen anywhere else, and something I want to see again. As a staff member at Sail Caribbean the feeling of being part of a team is unreal, there are always people willing to lend a hand and help you through situations whenever it is needed, and that is a great feeling. The sense of personal development over the summer is huge, too.  This summer I look forward to new opportunities for personal and professional development! I love climbing trees, sailing, diving, laughing, and rock climbing! Always having fun!! Something funny you should know about me… I’m a dive master and I love night dives, but I’m nervous to go in the water at night without my dive kit!

Related Trip Updates