Tango – Day 1 & Meet Our Staff

Posted Sunday, July 15th, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Tango Trip Update Day 1 – Fray, Assistant Program Director

Finally all of our hard work preparing the boat has paid off! Today was arrival day and we waited anxiously to meet all the new crew members to kick off a great new program. As the first group of students arrived they were all introduced to their new home for the next three weeks, a 47 foot catamaran named Mexico. They were all given time to start the unpacking process as well as spend some quality time with their new shipmates by the pool. As the second wave of students arrived I could feel the excitement start to build as I waited eagerly to start the first and only Tango program of the summer. Having our first family style meal of chicken, rice and coleslaw together, followed by the first boat meeting of program was a truly perfect end to the first day of the rest of my summer.

Frazer Milton, Assistant Program Director, Dive Coordinator, Community Service

This will be my second summer with SC. Last summer I started working for Sail Caribbean as a Mate for the Bravo 1, Tango and Charlie 3 programs. I currently have my open water scuba certification, and hope to keep working my way up. I have just finished the class room portion of my Captains License course through the Sea School, and aim to take my exam sometime this upcoming Fall. I have had a lot of volunteer time working with elementary to middle school aged kids doing anything and everything from coaching youth soccer teams, to going on mission trips to Central America to helping teach underprivileged kids to read. Aside from being the coolest summer camp job ever…I am returning to SC because of the incredible sense of community that I felt present last summer. A few of my favorite hobbies would have to be : Backpacking/camping/hiking, sailing & fishing. Something funny you should know about me…When I was younger I really wanted to grow up to become a horse, so my mother bought me a horse mask & from then on I walked around on my hands & knees neighing.

Marwan Moheyeldien, Captain, True Course

After graduating high school in 2007, I studied towards marine biology at Lynn University in south florida. While there I found myself sailing as much as studying which led me to question my career path and where I wanted to be in 10 years. Although I unsure of many things, I was certain I wanted to live and work on the water, doing what I love. I am currently a fourth year at the University of Alabama studying business with hopes to someday get into Marine management. After three summers as a student with Sail Caribbean in the Charlie and Echo program, I was presented the opportunity to return as part of the staff team. While there I obtained my rescue diver certification, and am working towards becoming a dive master.
Growing up I spent most of my free time with family and friends on the Chesapeake Bay. Water sports particularly wake boarding has always been a hobby of mine and enabled me to teach my four siblings and many others how to enjoy them as well. Sail Caribbean has shown me more excitement and knowledge in the three summers I had been a student then all my other summers combine. Spending time sailing throughout the Caribbean creates an overall ambiance where gaining knowledge comes easy, the more I learned the more fun I had. The constant excitement to wake up each morning and see what the day held is what keeps me returning to Sail Caribbean. Along with the many water sports I consider hobbies, I spend much of my time riding motocross and playing polo. My family introduced me to the sport of polo as a child and enjoyed numerous summers teaching young teens to play. Something funny about me is that I enjoy spending time with adults and children as much as friends my age. I have 4 siblings one 12,17,18 and 25, and we all spend more time together than apart.

Lily Everson, Mate, Medical Officer, Photo Mate, Marine Bio

This will be my first summer with Sail Caribbean.  I am originally from Ohio, and just graduated from Jacksonville University with a degree in marine science.  I grew up sailing small boats on Lake Eerie, and in college I was captain of the sailing team, a learn to sail instructor, and sail team coach.  In my free time I love paddle boarding and traveling!  I am thrilled to join the Sail Caribbean team.  I’m looking forward to both teaching and learning about the British Virgin Islands and the Caribbean, especially the coral reef ecology and marine life of the area.  An interesting fact about me…my pinky toe looks like a beluga whale (I think!).

Related Trip Updates