Foxtrot 2 – Day 1 & Meet Our Staff

Posted Sunday, July 15th, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Foxtrot 2 Trip Update Day 1 – Emma, Program Director

Our staff spent today preparing for a new group of students to join us for Foxtrot 2. The food arrived early this morning, boats were prepared and the excitement started to build. The first bus pulled into the docks in the early afternoon and the students were shown to their boats. Everyone was anxious to see where they would be living and who their shipmates would be. While waiting for the next group to arrive the students took time to hang out by the pool and get familiar with their surroundings. They played cards and got to know each other.

Dinner this evening was local chicken, rice and Caribbean coleslaw. Over dinner the crews chatted about the next three weeks and all that is in store for them. They headed to bed tired but happy to be here.

Meet our Foxtrot 2 Staff team:

Emma Deegan- Program Director

This is my sixth summer at Sail Caribbean. I have worked on Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo and Tango and as Captain, Mate, Fleet Captain, Program Director and Sailing Director. I grew up in a land locked county in Ireland and none of my family sail. I studied for a degree in Outdoor Education on the West coast, which covered topics such as Developmental Psychology, Environmental Studies, Heritage and outdoor activities. It was during these outdoor sessions that I learned to sail. I couldn’t get enough of it, I sailed every chance that I could get and volunteered my time in exchange for additional lessons. After graduation I worked for a sailing charity in Northern Ireland. The aim of this charity was to introduce young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to the sport of sailing and by doing so to help them grow.
While in this job I was awarded my Royal Yachting Association Day Skipper and competed in the Tall Ships Race. I loved this job and found my year with them extremely rewarding but I wanted to be sailing more and so I made the move to Sail Caribbean. Since then I have continued to seek further adventures in sailing, I have sailed to the Arctic and sailed across the Atlantic. With Sail Caribbean I have been lucky enough to sail all around the British Virgin Islands and the Leeward Islands.

Sail Caribbean has lots of different factors that keep bringing me back each summer. I started off as a Captain, and during that first summer I received support from the entire team, from Mike, our director down to my fellow captains. I felt like I really was part of a team that cared. The company nurtures their staff, they provide opportunities for growth and they help their staff to grow and learn.
Sail Caribbean never remains static, they ask questions, they listen to the answers and they make changes when needed. To be part of a team such as this is exceptional, to feel that you are listened to and that the company is taking your ideas on board. The teams that I have worked with during my years here have been fantastic. They understand each other, they are connected in what they want to get from the program and they are great fun. Add to this the fact that we are working in one of the best sailing playgrounds in the world and you have the recipe for a great summer. I love to sail and be on or in the water. I love to swim. I have grown up surrounded by horses and horse riding is still a huge part of my life. I like to run, read, travel and explore new places. I love cooking and being from a large family there are always lots of people to practice on. Something funny you should know about me…As a child I got a kid’s building block lodged in my mouth!!!

Frazer Milton, Assistant Program Director

This will be my second summer with SC. Last summer I started working for Sail Caribbean as a Mate for the Bravo 1, Tango and Charlie 3 programs. I currently have my open water scuba certification, and hope to keep working my way up. I have just finished the class room portion of my Captains License course through the Sea School, and aim to take my exam sometime this upcoming Fall. I have had a lot of volunteer time working with elementary to middle school aged kids doing anything and everything from coaching youth soccer teams, to going on mission trips to Central America to helping teach underprivileged kids to read. Aside from being the coolest summer camp job ever…I am returning to SC because of the incredible sense of community that I felt present last summer. A few of my favorite hobbies would have to be : Backpacking/camping/hiking, sailing & fishing. Something funny you should know about me…When I was younger I really wanted to grow up to become a horse, so my mother bought me a horse mask & from then on I walked around on my hands & knees neighing.

Betsy Flournoy, Provisions Manager

This will be my second year as a staff member for Sail Caribbean. I have been a Provisions Manager and Mate on the Bravo and Charlie programs, but I’ve been sailing with my family since I was 3 or 4 years old. I graduated from the Rocky Mountain School of Photography in 2010 and started doing professional photography three years ago. I am currently in my third year of working on a studio arts degree concentrated on photography and digital arts. My background with teens primarily comes from working at the Springer Theatre Academy in Georgia as a teaching assistant, intern, and office assistant. I also attended Sail Caribbean for 3 summers and completed the Sail Caribbean Echo Leadership & Advanced Sailing program when I was in college. I love working for Sail Caribbean because there is no other job like it: living on boats and traveling with the fleet is such a unique experience.  The BVI is one of my favorite places in the world– it has beautiful scenery, great diving and snorkeling to explore, perfectly clear water, and great sailing weather. I also enjoy being provisions manager because it gives me a challenge and it involves great food. I’m also passionate about teaching students how to sail and spread the appreciation of the sport. In my spare time I love rock climbing, sailing, snowboarding, horseback riding, diving & hiking. Something funny you should know about me… I have a pet hedgehog named Alfred Bruce Quillis.

Beta Eaton, Captain

This will be my first summer at Sail Caribbean. In 2011, I graduated from Colby College in Maine with a degree in Science, Technology, and Society. My undergraduate work focused on Marine Science, culminating in a year-long project involving the New England lobster fishery. I currently teach middle school and high school science at a small boarding school in Maryland. Growing up on the coast of Maine, I’ve always had a passion for oceanographic systems and anything related to sailing. I am US Sailing Level 2 certified and I coach sailing at my school. For six previous summers, I have worked at residential summer programs where I taught academic lessons and instructed various levels of sailing. Now, as a teacher, I enjoy working with young people as they explore their passions and learn about new things. I’m looking forward to Sail Caribbean because it offers a unique experience to encounter challenges and make memories. I was lucky enough to experience life onboard sailboats in high school and college, also while studying, and I hope to offer that experience to others. In my spare time I enjoy reading, swimming, running, and cooking big meals. Something funny you should know about me… I used to tell people I was allergic to pecans because I hated them so much, but now, Butter Pecan ice cream is my favorite flavor.

Sam Korus, Captain and True Course Coordinator

This will be my fourth year at Sail Caribbean, and my first as a staff member! I am a rising sophomore at the University of Pennsylvania studying science, technology and society. I am a PADI certified scuba diver, and I also have my private pilot’s certificate for single engine planes. I grew up sailing Hobie Cats in the Atlantic. Last summer I worked as a sailing instructor at Ocean City (NJ) Yacht Club as part of their Junior Sailing Program. The students were 8-16 years of age and sailedl Lasers (4.7 and radial), 420s, and Optimist boats. I also love photography and have interned with a professional portrait photographer in New York. Every year I went back to Sail Caribbean as a camper I knew I could look forward to having a unique and incredible adventure. There was not a single summer where I was not blown away by the amazing staff. I am excited to have a chance to follow in their footsteps and share the wonderful experiences and lessons I learned. I love to cycle and play tennis, squash, and basketball. I have completed many cycling trips including RAGRAI, a week- long bike ride across Iowa, and a trip from Connecticut to Nova Scotia. I also love photography, comedy, and statistical analysis of decision making related to diagnosis based on current medical tests. Something funny you should know about me is that I am part of the business staff of Mask and Wig, the oldest all-male collegiate musical comedy troupe in the United States.

Sondra Eger, Mate  Marine Biology & Dive Coordinator

My name is Sondra and I am looking forward to my first summer with Sail Caribbean! I have graduated with a BSc in Biological Sciences from the University of British Columbia- Okanagan in 2010 and for the past few years I’ve spent a year in Africa pursuing my passion of Marine Biology, Conservation and Environmental Education. After teaching Biology Labs at UBC in 2009, I realized how much I enjoyed getting students excited about learning and to appreciate the wonderful world around them. I have been involved in organizing and leading a variety of youth programs, both in and out of the water since then.  I was a competitive swimmer when I was younger, so I have always felt at home in the water and in 2011, I achieved my PADI Divemaster certification in Mozambique. I am very excited to be a part of the Sail Caribbean team this year as it allows me to continue to experience a new part of the world and do some of my favorite things: Exploring the oceans and showing others why they are so fantastic! I’m excited to learn about some new critters and meet new people who are as passionate about the environment as I am. I am a huge fan of cooking (food in general) and enjoy a good game of bocce ball. When I manage to find some free time I love to sit down with a good book. Something funny about me…Out of all the critters I have ever had the pleasure of seeing and learning about, I am most afraid of horses for some strange reason. Sharks, snakes, spiders, scorpions, komodo dragons, bats = cool. Horses = Eeeek.. Please stay behind that fence!

Steph Bouillion. Mate, Medical Officer and Photomate

During the school year I work as a Biology and Physics teacher in Plano, Texas and am currently in school to become a fire fighter/Paramedic. I went to school at the University of Kansas and graduated from the University of Texas at Dallas with a degree in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. During that time I spent 6 months in Ireland on the ocean shore and at the local zoo studding both marine and land animals.
I have always been a fish stuck on land. I grew up boating and jet skiing, swimming, and lifeguarding. The water has always been my favorite place to be. Living in Texas it is mostly the pool and the lake, but I love the ocean as well. I took sailing lessons last summer and very much enjoyed it. Diving has become my new love ever since my first day out. I have advanced through the ranks to a rescue diver. Weather on the water, in it swimming, or under it, I am at home in the water. As a high school teacher and manger and lifeguard instructor at the local pool, I work with teens every day. It is a joy seeing them learn and grow, knowing that I am investing in the world to come. I have also spent many previous summers at young life camp working the water front and the ropes courses. I have heard wonderful things from friends of mine who have worked for Sail Caribbean. It is amazing what they get to do with these kids and the activities that the kids get to take part in. Also I have heard nothing but glowing statements about the kids and other staff. I am looking forward to working with the kids and my fellow staff. It will be a thrill this year to be a part of the magnificent sail Caribbean staff for the first time. In my spare time my hobbies are Triathlons, Lifeguarding, Mt. Biking, baking,  and photography. Something funny you should know about me…I have a very squeaky high pitch laugh, I sneeze in multiples of 3, and my favorite animal is a squirrel.

Related Trip Updates