Charlie 1 – Day 1 & Meet Our Staff

Posted Saturday, June 23rd, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Charlie 1 Trip Update Day 1

Today was arrival day for Bravo!  This morning the Charlie staff prepared boats, cleaning them from bow to transom, and stocked the fridges with fresh local produce in anticipation of our students’ arrival.  All our students will arrive by 6 p.m., just in time for a Caribbean dinner followed by the Mike Talk and the first boat meeting of the program.  We’re all excited to get off docks tomorrow and start cruising the islands!

Robb Kirchner, Captain/Assistant PD

This will be my second summer at Sail Caribbean. I started as a Mate on Early Bravo and was a Captain on the Bravo & Charlie Programs. In the fall I will be a senior at St. Mary’s College of Maryland, pursing a degree in environmental sciences, which is mainly composed of biology and economics classes. I am the captain and skipper of the schools offshore sailing team and we compete at several regattas in the fall, including Offshore Nationals. Last summer at Sail Caribbean was amazing. While I had done a great deal of sailing before, nothing prepared me for how perfect the sailing is in the British Virgin Islands. On top of that, the snorkeling, which was something new to me, was fantastic. Along with my normal duties for SC I was also the photography mate for two of the programs. I enjoyed getting exciting and fun shots of campers enjoying their summer as much as I was! Getting to experience a totally different marine environment was also very exciting for me. I enjoyed seeing and learning about new species that are not found in the Chesapeake Bay. Sail Caribbean is a fantastic place to work. I am lucky that I am coming back for a second year. It is truly amazing seeing what a group of teenagers, who are largely strangers, can do in three weeks. They accomplish great tasks like sailing a boat on their own and cooking fantastic chili! The personal growth and development of the campers is something that I love to witness, and being an integral part of that growth and development makes it all the better. In my spare time, some of my hobbies are ultimate Frisbee, running, hiking, and photography.  Something funny you should know about me…I secretly wish I was a meteorologist.

Steff Page, Captain

This will be my second summer with Sail Caribbean. Last summer I was a Mate/Divemaster on Early Bravo and a Captain/ Divemaster on Charlie 1, 2&3. In 2011 I graduated from Plymouth University with a degree in Outdoor Education. Over the course of my degree I gained qualification in Dinghy sailing, windsurfing, Mountain Leadership, rock climbing kayaking and canoeing, just to name a few. From 2006 to 2011 I worked at a local Diving and water sports centre. While I specialized in sailing and retail I quickly got the scuba diving bug and gained my PADI open water in 2008, and qualified as a PADI Dive Master in 2011. I have participated in a round the world sailing expedition, being a member of one of the watch team and have participated in a sailing expedition in the Med, on this expedition I was a watch leader.  I am returning to Sail Caribbean this summer because I simply couldn’t stay away. Seeing the look on the kid’s faces as they became aware of their many achievements in such a short amount of time was amazing – it is a look I’ve never seen anywhere else, and something I want to see again. As a staff member at Sail Caribbean the feeling of being part of a team is unreal, there are always people willing to lend a hand and help you through situations whenever it is needed, and that is a great feeling. The sense of personal development over the summer is huge, too.  This summer I look forward to new opportunities for personal and professional development! I love climbing trees, sailing, diving, laughing, and rock climbing! Always having fun!! Something funny you should know about me… I’m a dive master and I love night dives, but I’m nervous to go in the water at night without my dive kit!

Sondra Eger, Mate

My name is Sondra and I am looking forward to my first summer with Sail Caribbean! I have graduated with a BSc in Biological Sciences from the University of British Columbia- Okanagan in 2010 and for the past few years I’ve spent a year in Africa pursuing my passion of Marine Biology, Conservation and Environmental Education. After teaching Biology Labs at UBC in 2009, I realized how much I enjoyed getting students excited about learning and to appreciate the wonderful world around them. I have been involved in organizing and leading a variety of youth programs, both in and out of the water since then.  I was a competitive swimmer when I was younger, so I have always felt at home in the water and in 2011, I achieved my PADI Divemaster certification in Mozambique. I am very excited to be a part of the Sail Caribbean team this year as it allows me to continue to experience a new part of the world and do some of my favorite things: Exploring the oceans and showing others why they are so fantastic! I’m excited to learn about some new critters and meet new people who are as passionate about the environment as I am. I am a huge fan of cooking (food in general) and enjoy a good game of bocce ball. When I manage to find some free time I love to sit down with a good book or learn how to use my camera and take photos. Something funny about me…Out of all the critters I have ever had the pleasure of seeing and learning about, I am most afraid of horses for some strange reason. Sharks, snakes, spiders, scorpions, komodo dragons, bats = cool. Horses = Eeeek.. Please stay behind that fence!

Kat Stanley-Whyte, Mate

I am 19 years old and am currently studying in Aberdeen doing a BSc in Sports Science and Exercise. I’m in my first year and loving it. I have been sailing all my life as it goes with the family. I got my Dinghy Instructors, First Aid and Powerboat license at the age of 16 but was coaching with my home club since I was 12 helping out with all the little ones. I am also a life guard and life saver and have my NPLQ, Life Support 2 & 3, Award of Merit and my Bronze Medallion. I was in the Scottish sailing squad by the age of 10 in an Optimist and then progressed through the RYA system in Toppers, 420s and I’m finally in a Laser Radial. I was selected for the World team in 2008 for the Laser 4.7s and travelled to Croatia, and later coached the GBR team at the 2010 Worlds in Thailand. This year I’ve been one of the head coaches for the Scottish sailing squads in their winter season. I spent my gap year out in Australia coaching the AUS and Victorian state teams as well as beginners with the Boatshed in Melbourne. I have also sailed in one of the old Volvo ocean yachts around Sydney Harbour. I have never been scuba diving but I love swimming and am really keen to learn. I love photography and have lots of old cameras at home. In my spare time I keep busy sailing, swimming, playing field hockey, tennis, running track, surfing, snowboarding, and skiing. Something funny you should know about me… I have a scar on my arm from a Lion given to me when I was travelling in South Africa.

Laura Griffen, Mate

I have a degree in outdoor education. While doing this course I was introduced to sailing and became a sailing instructor. I mainly sail on the east coast of Ireland. I have been working as an outdoor instructor for the last 6 years. I have worked with people of all ages. Last year I worked with teenagers teaching sailing through the Irish language. I also developed, organised and ran a youth sailing camp for a Sailing school that only offered adult courses. I teach kayaking  through the winter in Ireland, which is quite cold but I love being outside so I don’t mind too much! I want to work with Sail Caribbean as I love teaching sailing and this year I wanted to work abroad. Sail Caribbean seems to be a very popular company in the Caribbean and everyone I have asked only has good things to say about the company. In my spare time, I love sailing of course. I also do loads of kayaking. I am heading to Italy before I go to the Caribbean to go white water kayaking. I also do lots of windsurfing, mountain biking and I play Gaelic football (an Irish sport!). Something funny we should know about me…I’m the flan challenge winner 2 years running!

Related Trip Updates